Reclaim the traditional knowledge about the maramataka (Maori Lunar Calendar) and ways in which you can practically apply this knowledge to your everyday life. Use a daily journal that follows a monthly cycle of the maramataka, where you can begin to record
- what the moon phases are good for/ not good for
- what activities you did on these days
- what observations you made
- what your energy levels were
Please note the WHIRO Journal is more suitable for experienced learners - as the marama (moon) names are blank so that the journal maybe customised with the maramataka details of your own whanau/ hapu/ iwi, and the cycle starts from Whiro - the New Moon.
If you are unsure of that information, we have a limited number of iwi maramataka available on our website.
- Maramataka Definition & User Guide
- He Tirohanga written by Haami Piripi
- Daily Marama (blank for you to customise)
- Daily Journal page to record observations
- Daily "Ihi" Energy scale & monthly Graph to review your energy levels over 30 days
- Ōku whakaaro / My Thoughts Page
Please the WHIRO Journal is currently SOLD OUT but we are taking PRE ORDERS - next delivery date 5 December 2018.
- Measurements A5+ (148mm x 210mm)
- Perfect size to carry with your for daily observations.
- 72 pages x 100 gsm
- Lines for writing in journal sections
- Sewn together to make it last
Buy one - Give one
Hokona tētahi māramataka, ā, mā mātou tētahi e tākoha
For every maramataka journal purchased, we will give the same journal to Ngā Kitenga o te Maramataka to support the work done by Rereata Makiha and Rikki Solomon with rangatahi and kura kaupapa (youth) around the motu (country).
You can check out they amazing work they do in schools teaching rangatahi about the maramataka here.
Additional Information about the Maramataka
We have free resources available to assist your understanding of living with the maramataka. You can also check out our Ako/Learn page for details of upcoming workshops about the maramataka